Simple Appetizer + Margarita Recipe to Try on Labor Day
This post has me crying a little inside... HOW IS SUMMER OVER?! I think as you get older, and let's be honest, summer break isn't a thing anymore, summers just fly by without you even realizing. It's becoming more and more important for me to be present and actually plan things to do with my friends and family. Life can get busy and that is exactly why it feels like time flies if you don't stop and make time for things you love. So, even if it's just me, my husband and our dogs, we are celebrating Labor Day this year. We're gonna hang in the backyard, light the grill and make some delicious cocktails. I am PUTTING IT IN THE CALENDAR.
We grill a lot in the summer, we've got the main course down usually, it's the sides that are forgotten and then we end up getting a bag of chips and beer. Boring. This year, I wanted to come up with some simple recipes that you could serve your guests on Labor Day, or really at any BBQ until the temps dip. I wanted to make sure the appetizer could be made on the grill so you wouldn't be stuck in the kitchen, and the cocktail is something light but fruity to keep you cool.
Spicy Watermelon Cadillac Margarita (serves 2)
- 4 oz. tequila
- juice from 3 limes
- 2 oz. orange juice
- 1 oz. triple sec
- half of one jalapeño, seeds removed
- 4 large chunks or approx. 1 cup of watermelon
- agave nectar to taste
- Pellegrino, approx. 2-3 oz.
- Grand Marnier to top it off
- Tajin to rim glasses
- Add tequila, lime juice and jalapeños into a shaker
- Muddle jalapeños for 1-2 minutes
- Add watermelon and continue to muddle until watermelon is smooth
- Add oj, triple sec, agave nectar and ice. Shake
- Use a lime on the rim of your glass and dip in Tajin for garnish
- Add ice to your glasses and strain margarita directly into the glass
- Top off with Pellegrino and a dash of Grand Marnier
Grilled sweet potatoes with ricotta and thyme
1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup of ricotta
- few sprigs of thyme
- small tomato
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Slice sweet potato into 1/4" discs
- coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- grill 4 minutes on each side
- Top each disc with a slice of tomato, spoonful of ricotta + thyme
- Drizzle olive oil, balsamic and add a bit more salt to taste
These are a couple of my go-to recipes because it is so easy to swap out ingredients and adjust to your favorite flavors!
For the margarita, add any fruit in place of the watermelon to create your version of a spicy, fruity marg.
And for the sweet potatoes, use them like chips or bread! You can also turn them into healthy nachos by adding black beans, salsa, and avocado.
What are your favorite summer recipes?